Got a question? Hopefully it will be answered here!
Who can access the space?
Anyone with a currently active AU ID can utilize DaBL!
How do I become a member?
Becoming a member is easy. There are only two steps:
- Attend an in-person Welcome to the Lab session, where you will go over the Safety in DaBL.
- Complete and submit a Safety Waiver. Everyone (faculty, staff, and students alike) staying in DaBL for more than a tour must sign a Safety Waiver; you will be given one during the Welcome to the Lab session.
When is the lab open?
When are workshops?
All workshops are scheduled on our calendar.
What equipment is available to me?
Some tools and equipment require a certification to use, others require no such certification.
Tools requiring a Certification:
- 3D printers:
- Type-A Machines Series 1 Pro
- Stratasys uPrint SE Plus
- Bantam Tools PCB Milling Machine
- Sewing Machine
- Advanced Soldering Station
- GCC Jaguar VLX Vinyl Cutter
- Heat Press
- ULS PLS4.75 Laser Cutter
Other equipment (no Certification required)
- Hand tools
- Basic soldering stations
- Hot wire foam cutter
What kinds of materials are available to me?
DaBL is stocked with:
- PLA 3D printer filament
- Small electronics parts (wires, resistors, capacitors, transistors, microcontrollers, solder, et al.)
- Heat-transfer and adhesive-back vinyl
- FR1 printed circuit board material
- Acetyl blocks
- Extruded polystyrene and foam sheets
- 18"x24" Cast acrylic sheets
- White muslin fabric and thread
- Adhesives (tape, epoxy, glues, et al.)
- Balsa wood blocks
How much do materials cost?
For the time being, the DaBL is covering the cost of all consumable materials. (See What kinds of materials are available to me? above.) This means as long as you have an active AU ID, you can design and build at DaBL for no cost! However, if you are working on a custom project requiring parts that aren't in the lab, you are responsible for those materials.
What prior knowledge do I need to start a project?
What if I don't know how to use a particular tool?
You can always ask for help from one of the student specialists in the space. We can help you use the equipment.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Can I submit a design and have someone 3D print it for me?
Nope! the Design and Build Lab is an educational space: it is our goal to teach you the skills necessary to design and build, as well as provide a helping hand, rather than build for you.
Can I run my business out of DaBL?
Yes and no. You are welcome to