- 1 Welcome to the Design and Build Lab's Knowledgebase!
- 2 How do I become a member?
- 3 How do I learn how to design and build?
- 4 Safety
- 5 Knowledgebase Resources
- 6 Equipment Status
Welcome to the Design and Build Lab's Knowledgebase!
The Design and Build Lab - also known as DaBL - is a digital fabrication / rapid prototyping / experimentation facility located in the new Don Myers Technology and Innovation Building. Its purpose is to inspire and empower students, staff, and faculty to create things to solve problems. This is a space available to all individuals at American University with an active AU ID. There is currently no cost associated with participating in the space so all consumables are free to use.
As the Design and Build Lab is a space for individuals to come and fabricate and prototype their designs, the space itself as well as all of its resources are also prototypes and therefore they are constantly changing and evolving. Stop by when you have a chance to see what has changed and evolved!
How do I become a member?
Becoming a member is easy. There are only two steps:
- Complete and submit a Safety Waiver.
- Everyone (faculty, staff, and students alike) staying in DaBL for more than a tour must sign a Safety Waiver; you will be given one during the Welcome to the Lab session.
- Attend an in-person Welcome to the Lab session, where you will go over the Safety in DaBL.
- Please bring your active AU ID to be registered into the DaBL database.
How do I learn how to design and build?
There are three pillars of knowledge that will help you in your quest:
- Creative and Technical Specialists, who help you realize your ideas and provide support with all things DaBL.
- Workshops of three flavors:
- This knowledgebase, which is a repository of all things Design and Build.
All general knowledge about safety can be found on the Safety in DaBL page.
Computer-Numeric-Controlled Prototyping Machines
- Bantam Tools PCB Mill
- Type A Series 1 Pro 3D Printer
- Prusa i3 MK3S 3D Printer (4x)
- ULS PLS4.75 Laser Cutter
- GCC Jaguar VLX Vinyl Cutter
- Formlabs Form 1+ Resin 3D Printer
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are curious to know if a piece of equipment you need to use is working or not, head on over here.