Workshop: Introduction to Machine Sewing
(This workshop is not currently offered. Check the Lab calendar for up-to-date availability!)
A sewing machine is any machine with a mechanically driven needle that joins two pieces of fabric together. In order to complete this certification, two items must be completed, the Introduction to Fabric Design Workshop, and creating the requisite parts for a tote bag. In order to create these parts, users must come in during open hours, and work with one of the CaTS. The first four steps from the Fabric Design Workshop should be used in order to create the parts for the bag. This certification will focus on the specifics of machine sewing.
Parts of the Sewing Machine to Note
1: Thread Take-Up Lever
2: Thread Tension Dial
3: Face Plate
4: Thread Cutter
7: Removable Extension Table
8: Thread Guide
9: Bobbin Winder Stop
10: Pattern Selector Dial
11: Reverse Lever
13: Bobbin Winder Spindle
14: Spool Pins
15: Hand wheel
18: Bobbin Thread Guide
19: Presser Foot Lifter Down
Setting Up the Thread
- Put the spool of thread onto the Spool Pin (14)
- Take thread and put through Thread Guide hook (8)
- Bring thread through Bobbin Thread Guide [through hook only] (18) *Need to Thread a Bobbin* STOP HERE
- In Step 3, bring thread through (18) [around counterclockwise & through hook]
- Put Empty Bobbin on Bobbin Winder Spindle and slide right (13)
- Bring Thread through one of the holes of the bobbin from the inside
- Hold thread at top as you press the pedal for about 5 spins
- Release and press the pedal to load bobbin
- Take Out Bobbin slide left
- Go to Insert the Loaded Bobbin section before proceeding
- If not, you may proceed
- Take thread down first long slit and back up through the slit directly to the left of the initial (2 into 1)
- This is where the thread will hook (1)
- Bring thread down into needle and thread through loop
- Hold thread backwards
- Keep Presser Foot Lifter Up (19)
- Turn Hand Wheel forward to put tension onto Footbed with needle (15)
- As needle goes down, the bobbin should rotate allowing second thread to come up
- Pull threads backwards
- Put material between Foot & Footbed
- Press Pedal and gently pull material as it threads
- weight on pedal correlates with speed of needle
Inserting the Loaded Bobbin
- Remove the Removable Extension Table
- Gently pull out the bobbin holder (has a hook on it)
- Insert bobbin into holder
- Insert bobbin and metal holder back in by pulling clip forward
- make sure the tail of metal holder fit sin dent at top of circle
- make sure enough thread is left out to be grabbed above
By the end of this Workshop, you should:
- know the basic elements of a sewing machine.
- understand how the machine creates a stitch.
By the end of this Workshop, you should be able to:
- thread and unload/load a bobbin.
- manually move the armature.
- thread the machine and the needle.
- Load material into the machine.
- create a stitch with the help of the manual feed and with the foot pedal.
- end your stitch.