- 1 Welcome to the Design and Build Lab's Knowledgebase!
- 2 How do I become a member?
- 3 How do I Llarn how to design and build?
- 4 Safety
- 5 Knowledgebase Resources
- 6 Equipment Status
Welcome to the Design and Build Lab's Knowledgebase!
The Design and Build Lab - also known as DaBL - is a digital fabrication / rapid prototyping / experimentation facility located in the new Don Myers Technology and Innovation Building. Its purpose is to inspire and empower students, staff, and faculty to create things to solve problems. This is a space available to all individuals at American University with an active AU ID.
How do I become a member?
Becoming a member is easy. There are only two steps:
- Complete and submit a Safety Waiver.
- Everyone (faculty, staff, and students alike) staying in DaBL for more than a tour must sign a Safety Waiver; you will be given one during the Welcome to the Lab session.
- Attend an in-person Welcome to the Lab session, where you will go over the Safety in DaBL.
- Please bring your active AU ID to be registered into the DaBL database.
How do I Llarn how to design and build?
There are three pillars of knowledge that will help you in your quest:
- Creative and Technical Specialists, who help you realize your ideas and provide support with all things DaBL.
- Workshops of three flavors:
- This knowledgebase, which is a repository of all things Design and Build.
All general knowledge about safety can be found on the Safety in DaBL page.
Computer-Numeric-Controlled Prototyping Machines
- Bantam Tools PCB Mill
- Type A Series 1 Pro 3D Printer
- ULS PLS4.75 Laser Cutter
- GCC Jaguar VLX Vinyl Cutter
- Formlabs Form 1+ Resin 3D Printer
Frequently Asked Questions
(CaTS Only) Machine Maintenance
- Bantam Tools PCB Mill Maintenance
- Type A Series 1 Pro 3D Printer Maintenance
- ULS PLS4.75 Laser Cutter Maintenance
- GCC Jaguar VLX vinyl cutter Maintenance
- Formlabs Form1+ Resin 3D Printer Maintenance
If you are curious to know if a piece of equipment you need to use is working or not, head on over here.